Friday, December 11, 2009

I Heard a Bird Sing









I heard a bird sing in the dark of December,
A magical thing, and so sweet to remember.

The wind started blowing so bitterly cold.
But still the bird sang so loud and so bold.

Snow heavily falling, turning all around white.
The day was retreating, bringing on the long night.

I stood there in wonder as the bird sang his song.
Such heart warming chirping did not seem to belong.

For this was December that cold time of the year.
When all the earth slumbered; with all the trees bare.

The bird sensed my presence then he turned to see.
A man standing in the snow, enjoying his melody.

The bird spread his wings and flew off into the sky.
My eyes could not follow, I thought I would cry.

So there I stood lonely, on this frigid Christmas eve.
Remembering that bird, and his brief winter reprieve.

As I walked away wishing, I was lost in my thought.
Of that brave little bird, and the song that he brought.

So now this December will not seem as cold.
As I think of that bird, and his sweet song so bold.


This poem was inspired by an earlier poem written


by Robert Lee Frost entitled “The Wood-Pile”.

No comments:

Post a Comment